Children's Liturgy of the Word
Children's Liturgy takes place during the Liturgy of the Word at the Sunday 10 am Mass on a few Sundays during the school year.
Children are not dropped off for this Ministry. Children attend Mass with their family and are invited to attend the same Liturgy of the Word in simpler words. They return to Mass to sit with their family for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
Children ages 4 to 8 years old are invited. No registration is needed. Children with autism or ADHD may need their own adult to attend Children's Liturgy with them.
For 2018-19, we hope to offer Children's Liturgy on October 21, 28, November 4, 11, December 2, 9, January 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24, March 3, 10, 17, 24, April 7, 28 and May 5. We can only hold Children's Liturgy when we have the required number of adults and it is not raining.
- The children and the adult and teen Ministers of the Word for Children’s Liturgy will be called forward after the Gloria and the Opening/Collect prayers at the Mass.
- The presiding priest dismisses the group.
- The group will process with the red hard bound Children’s Lectionary [published by the US Council of Bishops] to the Social Hall, largest classroom.
- The Ministers of the Word read or sing or act out the First Reading, Responsorial Psalm, Gospel Acclamation, and Gospel and teach the children the correct responses to participate fully in the Liturgy.
- Homiletical Reflection
- As the Nicene Creed ends in the Church, the children pray the Creed, line up, and return to the church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The children will quietly enter the church during the Prayers of the Faithful or the Offertory hymn.
- The time of the Children’s Liturgy of the Word will match the adult Liturgy of the Word in the Church every Sunday, so between 15 and 20 minutes. Everyone will be back in the church for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
- All of the adult Ministers for Children's Liturgy of the Word are background checked through a national database by the Diocese of Raleigh. Teen assistants are welcome to help under the direct supervision of a background checked adult who is 24 or older.